David Allsup, PE Mechanical Engineer / Project Manager
8458 Stay Sail Drive, Fort Collins, CO 80528
952-334-4297 â€¢ dallsup[at]gmail.com
* Formal training and experience in project management
* Mechanical engineer
* Expertise in new product development
* Functional engineering manager
* Risk management
Made continued technical contributions to disc drive designs where storage capacity grew at an unrelenting pace of 60% year-over-year. Helped set this industry pace in Enterprise Storage by developing products faster than the competition, while simultaneously shrinking product size, improving reliability, reducing costs, reducing acoustics and reducing power.
Seagate Technology www.Seagate.com 1987-2009
Sr. Program Manager / Project Manager (2006 - 2009)
* Led international project team to launch best-in-class consumer electronics products:
* External disc drive storage for DVRs â€“ quietest and coolest operation
* Ruggedized disc drive cartridge â€“ best shock specification, small form factor
* Defined product marketing requirements, performance targets, cost goals and schedule.
* Responsible for project scope, schedule, cost and product quality.
* Identified business and technical risks. Drove actions to mitigate or avoid the impacts.
* Forged relationship with, and managed contract manufacturers in Singapore and Taiwan to produce products in Thailand and China.
* Performed reliability testing, failure analysis and customer qualification testing.
* Portfolio management responsibilities included use case development, market analysis, financial modeling, project schedules, budget management, competitive evaluation, market risk analysis, industrial design and prototype fabrication.
Sr. Engineering Manager (1999 - 2006)
* Served as functional manager of product engineering teams that delivered mechanical designs, approved supplier lists and product verification packages for Enterprise Class disc drives.
* Worked closely with product Core Teams, Manufacturing, Quality Assurance and Procurement departments to plan and execute product development.
* Managed teams consisting of engineers, designers, documentation specialists, technicians and machinists.
* Recruited, coached and evaluated engineers on simulation, prototyping, documentation, technical decisions and failure analysis.
* Routinely utilized DFSS practices during development of new products - such as Design of Experiments (DOE), and Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA).
Development Engineer / Project Engineer (1987-1999)
* Designed and tested electro-mechanical disc drive components utilizing CAD software, oscilloscopes, accelerometers, laser based measurement devices and signal analyzers.
* Simulated dynamics and controls of mechanical systems such as actuators and latches.
* Wrote C programs to automate lab and factory measurements utilizing data acquisition hardware, sensors, motors and actuators.
* Coordinated the efforts of resources within the engineering department to complete mechanical product design, prototyping, testing, and supplier qualification for specific disc drive models.
* Responsible for generating BOMs, configuration control and ensuring all design verification checklists were completed per schedule.
* Collaborated with cross-functional departments such as Manufacturing, Electrical Engineering, Servo Engineering, Purchasing, Product Assurance, Product Core Teams and Suppliers.
* Prototyping, injection molded plastics, dynamics/kinetics, resonance mitigation, automation, controls, C programming, magnetics, structural analysis, acoustics, heat transfer, bearing systems, adhesives, fasteners, seals, elastomers and printed circuit boards.
* 14 Patents â€“ Inventions involve assembly methods for high volume, flexible printed circuits, electrical interconnects, shock mitigation, vibration control and airflow management.
* Hands-on engineer â€“ Comfortable developing, executing and documenting lab tests.
Note: Currently taking courses in Systems Engineering and Risk Management at CSU.
MBA Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK 1996
* Investigated strategies for reducing product development design cycles.
MS in Mechanical Engineering University of Oklahoma, Norman, OK 1994
* Emphasis on dynamics and controls.
* Presented thesis on simulation of an automobile that accomplishes automatic path tracking using combined steering, traction and active suspension control.
BS in Mechanical Engineering University of Oklahoma, Norman, OK 1987
* Team Leader of senior project team placing 1st in Mechanical Design in collegiate Mini-Baja design competition.
* Completed graduate level course in Project Management, CSU - 2009
* Gas Turbines and Compressors fundamentals courses, GTUS, TX A&M - 2009
* Harvard Leadership Development Program - 2007
* Design for Six Sigma - 2001
* Professional Engineering License
* Member of American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
* Software: Project, PowerPoint, Access, Excel, Outlook, LabVIEW, C, MATLAB, Simulink, SDRC I-deas, Crystal Ball
David Allsup â€¢ 952-334-4297 â€¢ dallsup[at]gmail.com
NukeJobs is a nuclear jobs board that provides nuclear job seekers access to international directories of Nuclear Employers, Nuclear Resumes and Nuclear Jobs such as Nuclear Engineer Jobs, Nuclear Construction Jobs, Nuclear Power Plant Jobs, Nuclear Medicine Jobs, Nuclear Pharmacy Jobs, Nuclear Security Jobs, Nuclear Physics Jobs, Nuclear Reactor Jobs, Nuclear Material Jobs, Nuclear Safety Jobs, and Nuclear Waste Jobs.