Leadership position in the hydroelectric industry.
Leader with a distinguished career managing the planning, staffing, budgeting, upgrades, operations and maintenance, contract negotiations, and technology in the pump-storage and conventional hydroelectric industry. Expert in cross-functional team building, leadership, change management, organization development, and quality/performance improvement. Over 20 years of successful management and leadership experience in steam, combustion turbine, pump storage, and conventional hydroelectric power generation. A pragmatic and focused individual with a reputation for meeting the most challenging organizational goals and objectives, and recognized for making seemingly impossible situations work. A proven record for:
Producing higher performance standards and enhancing productivity during periods of shrinking budgets.
Automating major processes - increasing the effective resource utilization rate.
Controlling growth management - able to motivate and maximize productivity and employee morale.
A leader with substantial hands-on experience, and personal philosophy and values that enable me to succeed, inspire, and lead others.
Developing and implementing highly successful strategic plans, capital improvement plans, and technology plans.
Florida Keys Aqueduct Authority, Key West, FL 2004 to 2010
CIO/Technical Services Director
The Florida Keys Aqueduct Authority is a state enabled utility and is the sole provider of potable water for all of the residents of the Florida Keys. The Authority also provides wastewater collection and treatment in certain areas of the Florida Keys. The Florida Keys are comprised of a series of islands, approximately 130 miles in overall length, which are connected by 43 bridges. The Authority provides service to over 45,000 customers.
* Identified an alternate operating practice resulting in a 30% energy cost savings.
* Instrumental in the design, construction, start-up, and operation of a $40 million 6 MGD reverse osmosis plant.
* Initiated and managed the development of operations and maintenance policies and procedures.
* Planned and implemented a VoIP telephone system with a 2.5 year ROI.
* Lead the development and negotiation of equipment, consultant and contractor agreements.
* Implemented license and certification programs supported by on-going employee personal growth and development through structured training.
* Instrumental in the design, construction, start-up, and operation of a $32 million waste water treatment plant and collection system.
Tennessee Valley Authority, Chattanooga, TN 1999 to 2004
Consultant / Program Manager / Production Area Manager
TVA operates the nationâ€™s largest public power system and supplies power in seven states to a population of nearly nine million people.
* Provided direction and oversight for a team of subordinate managers, technical and administrative staff at twelve (12) pumped storage and conventional hydroelectric power plants in three states.
* Provided direction and oversight for a team responsible for the operation and maintenance of the Raccoon Mountain pumped-storage plant.
* Planned, developed and managed annual multi-million dollar operating budgets.
* Directed staff in resolution of complex problems and troubleshooting with power generation systems, operations and maintenance, telecommunications and IT, safety and emergency support, repair parts, contract services, facility security, and inventory.
* Implemented a craft multi-skill program supported with employee personal growth and development and structured training programs.
* Directed staff in development of facility plans for life-cycle replacement.
* Provided direction and oversight for the developed and management of plant staffing, organizational structure, sizing, and crew mix ratios.
* Managed short and long range planning in support of total company operations.
* Lead team of subordinates in management and execution of simultaneous power plant capacity upgrades and modernization.
* Authored O&M procedures for the Raccoon Mountain pumped storage plant.
Self Employed, Key West, FL 1996 to 1999
* Provided merchant power plant business development services.
* Authored hydroelectric O&M standard operating procedures.
* Provided recommendations on power plant O&M activities, emergency repairs, and monitoring and control issues.
* Provided consultation, business start-up and business development services for power marketing organizations.
City Electric System, Key West, FL 1992 to 1996
City Electric System is the public power electric utility for the Lower Florida Keys. The utility provides electricity from Key West to the Seven-Mile Bridge and serves more than 28,000 customers.
* Provided direction and oversight for a team of subordinate technical staff at six power plants.
* Developed and managed plant staffing including organizational structure, sizing, and crew mix ratios.
* Managed fuel supply for multiple power plants.
* Instrumental in construction, testing, and start-up of power generation facilities.
* Managed short and long range budget planning.
* Authored and updated O&M procedures for a steam plant, gas turbine, and multiple internal combustion engine generators.
* Lead the installation, testing and start-up of a DCS for burner management and combustion controls.
* Developed and implemented a company-wide Lock-Out/Tag-Out procedure and trained staff.
General Physics Corporation, Columbia, MD 1990 to 1992
General Physics is a global performance improvement company and a leader in training, management consulting, and engineering services.
* Developed business opportunities throughout the country.
* Managed various projects with electric utilities.
* Developed electric utility simulator operating scenarios.
* Developed power plant training programs.
Oglethorpe Power Corporation 1988 to 1990
Lead System Operator
Oglethorpe Power Corporation is the nation's largest power supply cooperative with approximately $6 billion in assets serving 39 Electric Membership Corporations.Â OPC has a diverse energy portfolio including natural gas, hydroelectric, coal and nuclear generating plants with a combined capacity of approximately 5,790Â megawatts.
* Authored operating instructions providing guidance in the operation of OPC assets.
* Independently authored an OPC clearance (Lock-Out/Tag-Out) procedure first draft.
* Managed the construction of a control room to include all associated support equipment such as telephones, consoles, chart recorders, and radio system.
* Instrumental in meeting FERC documentation requirements for the Tallassee Shoals hydroelectric power plant.
* Managed the relocation of operations from one control room and datacenter to a new building without interrupting operations.
* Served on an EPRI task force defining operations priorities including voltage/var control, security, and control.
Department of Energy, Boulder City, NV 1981 to 1988
The Department of Energy operates and maintains an electric utility with a service area within a 15-state region west of the Mississippi River. Total generating resources have an installed capacity of 10,395 megawatts.
* Monitored and directed generating unit loading.
* Coordinated generating unit maintenance outages for eleven (11) power plants.
* Authored operating, metering, scheduling, and accounting procedures for multiple federal generating assets.
* Recognized with an award for my significant contributions to the planning, coordination, and accomplishment of the Hoover Dam transition.
* Authored a long-term agreement for integrating the Arizona Power Authority power resources into the government system for management.
* Coordinated generating resources for the testing of the Central Arizona Project/Central Arizona Water Conservation District pump stations. Coordinated test procedures between the power plant, dispatch offices, and adjacent utilities.
* Instrumental in developing a generating resource integration plan for federal projects.
Tennessee Valley Authority, Chattanooga, TN 1976 to 1981
Hydroelectric Power Plant Operator
* Trained as a hydroelectric power plant operator.
* Operated power plants, switchyards, and substations in accordance with prescribed policies, procedures, and regulations.
Construction Specifications Institute
Association of Energy Engineers
Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
Florida Benchmarking Consortium
Co-Chair NERC Performance Subcommittee
NukeJobs is a nuclear jobs board that provides nuclear job seekers access to international directories of Nuclear Employers, Nuclear Resumes and Nuclear Jobs such as Nuclear Engineer Jobs, Nuclear Construction Jobs, Nuclear Power Plant Jobs, Nuclear Medicine Jobs, Nuclear Pharmacy Jobs, Nuclear Security Jobs, Nuclear Physics Jobs, Nuclear Reactor Jobs, Nuclear Material Jobs, Nuclear Safety Jobs, and Nuclear Waste Jobs.