CONTINENTAL RESOURCES, INC. (May 2012-present)
Director of Regulatory Affairs
• Directed all government regulatory affairs for a 1000,000 BOED, public oil and gas, exploration and production company
• Interacted and established relationships with key government agency and political contacts in matters affecting business and operational activities
• Directed Continental’s operations group in state and Federal government regulatory compliance activities
• Provided direction to Mr. Hamm on regulatory issues in testimony to Congress and in media interviews. Remained current on all energy market issues including renewable transportation and power energy sources
• Reviewed and provided comment on regulatory and legislative activities involving air, water, endangered species, hydraulic fracturing, etc.
• Provided support on all issues to operations, accounting, legal, government and public relations and senior management.
TEEMCO – (2011-2012)
Senior Vice-President – Compliance
• Managed engineering staff responsible for compliance and permitting activities
• Supervised air and water sampling program for permitting and compliance
• Set up Texas operation for TEEMCO to market and conduct environmental services for independent oil and gas companies
• Lead marketing team in the business development through oil and gas trade associations.
• Provided review and comment on environmental regulations and legislation on both the sate and federal level.
• Provided advise and counsel on potential challenges in government regulatory as well as enforcement activities.
Leggette, Brashears and Graham, Inc. (2007-2011)
General Manager – Environmental, Health and Safety
• Manage a startup operation for LBG in Houston marketing and supervising projects involving the same services provided in Kelley Engineering.
• Interact with groundwater hydrologists and other scientists to manage projects and policy development
• Provided comments and effective input on major regulatory development working with industry trade associations as well as government agencies
• Successfully acquired competent personnel and coordinated work and business development across the US market
Kelley Engineering, Inc. (1993-2007)
President and CEO
• Represent independent oil and gas exploration and production companies in all environmental, health and safety matters as contract EHS department.
• Provided expertise and assistance in conducting pre-acquisition due diligence on property acquisitions, including many ranging from $100M to $850M in asset value.
• Provided oversight on mitigation of all compliance matters, including waste management, spill prevention and remediation, groundwater protection and cleanup, air emissions monitoring and permitting, etc.
The Bordeau Group, LLC (1992-1993)
• Started up environmental contracting/consulting company working under the funding of the LUST Trust Fund in the State of Texas.
• Provided direction and management for tank pulls and LUST groundwater and soil remediation projects
• Managed the completion and submittal of LUST Trust reimbursements for independently owned businesses
Kelley-Hinds, Inc. (1991-1993)
President and CEO
• Established first full service contract environmental management company for independent producers in oil and gas energy industry
• Provided direction and management on many $100-400M asset acquisitions.
• Developed Environment Management System and Modified ASTM Audit Protocol used in industry today.
G&E Engineering, Inc. (1989-1991)
• Started up Houston Branch for Baton Rouge based consulting company working primarily in remediation and leaking underground storage tanks. Managed $250K/yr operation with $2.0M in contract engineering sales.
• Successfully met corporate expectations for start up and performance of this new branch office.
Kerr McGee Corporation, Inc. (1987-1989)
Corporate Environmental Engineer
• Worked with Government Affairs (lobbyist) in negotiations with Congressional and Senate representatives on regulations affecting Kerr McGee’s energy sector operations.
• Established SARA Title III program for Kerr McGee nation wide. Adapted database program to manage MSDS’s and inventorying and reporting of all toxic chemical inventories and releases. Also responsible for management of all employee training.
• Coordinated compliance efforts with nuclear, chemical and oil and gas divisions
Sun Exploration and Production Company, Inc. (1981-1987)
Environmental Coordinator (1985-1987)
• Responsible for environmental compliance and operations of all producing and drilling assets in Sun’s Mid-continent District (4,000 wells).
• Established Sun’s deminimus status during representation on superfund steering committee
Production Engineer (1981-1985)
• Managed $50M in assets including two water floods and one expanding gas cap – gas pressure maintenance project.
• Successfully developed stimulation procedure for wells producing in the Detroit River Sour strata of the Richfield Formation, which increased the sustainable rate of production in producing wells from 30 BOPD to over 100 BOPD.
• Used modified production techniques in a major Niagran Reef gas cap well to increase oil and gas production of the entire field by 200%.
Texas Air Control Board (1976-1979)
Environmental Health Specialist
• Conducted Houston Haze Study in conjunction with University of Washington in the early study of the formation of photochemical oxidants in the Houston SMSA.
• Conducted compliance inspections on air emissions sources in the Houston Region.
TEXAS INDEPENDENT PRODUCERS AND ROYALTY OWNERS ASSOCIATION (TIPRO)
• Chairman of Environmental Task Force to provide expert guidance and direction on environmental legislative and regulatory development in the State of Texas. Involved in reviewing new proposed air emissions regulations and organizing comments from the independent producers sector. Also reviewing legislation and regulations relating to hydraulic fracturing of drilled wells.
INTERSTATE OIL and GAS COMPACT COMMISSION (IOGCC)
• Represented NPDES issue group to IOGCC and Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to help gain support of industry developed Reasonable and Prudent Practices (RAPPS) for storm-water protection as part of the revised NPDES regulation. The acceptance of this regulation represents a savings of over $2.0 billion per year in lost revenues and increased fuel costs (DOE – 2005 Report)
PETROLEUM ENVIRONMENTAL RESEARCH FORUM
• Chaired the Exploration and Production Working Group and lead the “Above Ground Storage Tank – Environmental Impact Research Project” to assess the impact of these vessels to the subsurface environment and to groundwater.
MIDCONTINENT OIL AND GAS ASSOCIATION
• Chaired the Environmental Committee and lead the industry in Oklahoma in the development of regulations for the disposition of drilling wastes in the environment. Worked in conjunction with the independent producers in this research and development.
• Lead the development of SARA Title III reporting systems for the E&P industry.
AMERICAN PETROLEUM INSTITUTE (API)
• Chaired the Above Ground Storage Tank Task Force to lead the investigation into the need for additional regulations for above ground petroleum tanks. This group determined that the current SPCC regulations were sufficient for the vessels typical of this industry.
CHEMICAL MANUFACTURERS ASSOCIATION (CMA)
• Member of the CAER Task Group responsible for setting emergency response policy for the industry worldwide, working to formulate SARA Title III / Public response policy for the chemical manufacturing industry
DOMESTIC ENERGY PRODUCERS ALLIANCE (DEPA)
• Provide comments on developing energy legislation and regulations for oil and gas industry
TEXAS STATE BOARD OF REGISTERED PROFESSIONAL ENGINEERS – Admission 1989
INTERSTATE OIL and GAS COMPACT COMMISSION (2005-Present)
Representative from the State of Texas
Chairman of the Air Subcommittee to the Environmental, Health and Safety Committee
INDEPENDENT PETROLEUM ASSOCIATION OF AMERICA (1992-Present)
Chairman of the Environmental Health and Safety Committee (2003-2005)
Member of Executive Board
TEXAS INDEPENDENT PRODUCERS and ROYALTY OWNERS ASSOCIATION (1989-Present)
Member and Chairman of Environmental Task Force
TEXAS ALLIANCE (1993-Present)
Member of environmental committee
INDEPENDENT PETROLEUM ASSOCIATIONS IN VARIOUS STATES -Oklahoma, Kansas, Colorado, West Virginia, New Mexico, Wyoming, Ohio
DOMESTIC ENERGY PRODUCERS ALLIANCE – Independent producers in 13 states