SUCCESSFUL ENERGY EXECUTIVE
Renewable Technologies, EPC Construction, Emerging Markets and Technologies
A dynamic executive with alternative energy and Industrial related experience with fortune 500 and private equity corporations. Full P&L responsibility in national and international projects, domestic business expansion and turnarounds. Delivers growth and shareholder value organically and through M&A. Extensive construction experience in power generation, HVAC, industrial refrigeration and process systems with a firm grasp of the competitive regulated and deregulated markets and various conventional and alterative energy technologies including transmission and interconnection issues. A strategic thinker, team builder and change management visionary ready to bring extensive experience and value in developing and managing very profitable corporations to your team. A highly experienced leader not hampered by ego with a keen ability to build, listen, align and motivate teams to realize unprecedented results by establishing an esprit de corps. An unending desire to succeed supported by record of increased margins by building strategic business initiatives through proactive team building. Energetic hands on mentor and leader that consistently exceeds shareholders, company, staff and client expectations.
Strengths and Skills
Strategic – Detail focused but not to the point of obscuring the objective. A clear decisive visionary with extensive turnaround experience. A dynamic leader who clearly understands how to effectively implement corporate sustainability. Establishes clear objectives, measures results with KPI (Key Performance Indicators) matrix tools, and is a results-focused solutions developer and implementer. One that clearly understands that effective personnel management, planning, organizational and constant assessment and adjustment skills are essential for endeavors to succeed.
Leadership and Technical Responsibilities – A visionary that assesses long-term objectives, listens and effectively creates strategic plans in conjunction with affected teams successfully implementing across all stakeholder groups. A leader that accepts full accountability makes difficult decisions and handles complex stressful situations well. Inspires others, invites creative thinking and encourages individual initiative. Hands on energetic leader who is not afraid to roll up his sleeves and get his hands dirty in the field to support the team and or assess a problem first hand.
Interpersonal – Highly skilled in interpersonal relations, values the balance between family and work, work hard, play hard, demands high standards in loyalty, integrity, high energy drive, strong communication skills, esprit de corps and a balanced ego.
Successful start up of three very successful renewable energy focused corporations – Success achieved through effective innovative leadership by imparting the vision and enthusiasm to grow, to create innovative thinkers and doers establishing the bar for others to rise to. Established that people are limited only by the abilities and vision of those above them. Each person’s greatest room for growth is in the areas of his or her greatest strength. Secured and matched the right talent with the task, established controls and measurement rewarding both team and individual performance.
Negotiated and worked extensively with various trade unions – Led, negotiated and secured mutual trust policy agreements with multiple trade unions covering numerous projects in excess of $200 million for field personnel and established boundaries to utilize non union personnel in non trade applications both in state and out of state.
Successfully increased performance and increased customer satisfaction - Led the turnarounds of three dysfunctional corporations to become market leaders in construction, service and performance, enabling one to realize over $10 million in new sales in the first year.
Reduced risk and increased safety – established clear procedures and policies to keep job site safety paramount. Reduced incidents to zero by requiring weekly tail-gate meetings in conjunction with monthly reviews for all off site personnel, reducing insurance cost and increasing productivity.
Successfully transformed underperforming programs for utility – Transformed PG&E’s new construction supermarket and refrigerated warehouse programs to realize over $50m in EBIT becoming the marquee of performance by effectively establishing new marketing approach, accountability and establishing performance matrixes.
- Developed business, marketing and financial plans to securing $3mm in venture funding
- Strong analytical skills and a very good understanding of P&L, cash flow and forecasting
- Created matrix tools tracking financial performance indicators
- Turnaround of service operations increasing profits by over $2 million dollars in less than 18 months
- Restructured incentive programs to increase participation to significantly reduce gird load for PG&E and reduce customer energy cost at an average of $250,000 annually and returning $23 million+ annually to investors.
ADVANCED RENEWABLE TECHNOLOGIES, CORP., Hartsdale, NY Mar 2009 to Present
COO – Interim external contractor
Clean energy manufacturing start up. Full P&L responsibility for development and funding of over $500 million in clean energy generation green field and retrofit projects nationally and internationally ranging from 250 kW cogeneration to 100 MW bio mass projects, geothermal generation; and hydrogen based systems.
• Developed large scale energy projects both nationally and internationally
• Oversaw acquisitions and Power Purchase Agreements with utilities
• Developed over $150 mil in power projects
• As a team raised $50 mil in B round funding
• Structured and secured international relationships with key funders and partners
• Secured strategic relationships with major market players to strengthen corporate position
• Managed mergers and accusations of selected technologies and corporations
• Responsibility for all projects nationally and internationally to secure contactors and oversee project development from land lease to commissioning and ongoing service
• Expanded the corporate portfolio through new opportunities and acquisition of selected existing opportunities
• Managed the implementation of proprietary hydrogen fired “Zero Emissions” technologies and alternative clean fuel driven technologies.
• Teamed with corporate officers to identify and acquire existing corporations to secure control and supply access to complementary technologies.
• Developed operational policies and procedures for acquisitions and project development
JOHNSON CONTROLS, Carson City, NV (Division closed due to economy) Oct 2008 to Feb 2009
Business Development Director - Industrial Solutions Western Region
Critical leadership position for Johnson Controls Building Efficiency Group\'s, Industrial Solutions Vertical Market team covering offices in the eleven western states from Colorado west. Comfortable working in a Fortune 100 organization while selling to Fortune 1000 and mid-cap industrials by utilizing leadership, business processes, sales processes and P&L management methods to maximize value to the client and Johnson Controls.
• Led and secured new markets in the undeveloped Western Region holding P&L responsibility for all work
• Established new markets and tools for targeting, qualifying & securing new customers while driving aggressive enterprise wide sales strategies, delivering secured sales & margin objectives for Johnson Controls Building Efficiency Groups by selling all lines of business into the Industrial marketplace.
• A strategic leader for the pursuit team that was responsible for developing and transforming account and opportunity strategies, team resources, solution development and operational alignment to ensure value is delivered to our clients at one plant or multiple plants.
• Brought an extensive knowledge of manufacturing processes, utility infrastructure operations, capital and operational budget processes around energy and maintenance including knowledge of HVAC, refrigeration, solar, solar thermal, electrical and production maintenance and network of industry leaders/contacts in the Industrial vertical market to optimize account penetration at the C Level.
• Aligned JCI and partner resources across geographies to ensure opportunities solve clients compelling events
PURE ENERGY INC., Carson City, NV Jan 1999 to Oct 2008
Founded mechanical/developer/integrator turn-key EPC contractor for HVAC, steam, industrial process refrigeration and on-site power generation (fossil and solar) An EPC (Engineering Procurement and Construction) contracting firm specialized in performance based Engineering Procurement and Construction of HVAC, industrial ammonia refrigeration, energy and on site power sector systems, fossil fuel, and solar based systems, installation and service.
Directed and expanded operations for construction/retrofit energy conservation and technologies corporation, targeting the commercial and industrial markets of California and Nevada securing over $20m in new revenues at 15%+ net. Complete responsibility for identifying, developing and implementing projects. Managed operations, capital funding needs, market development of Power Purchase Agreements, and the associated operating energy portfolios. Developed effective business strategies and designed innovative marketing tools and materials. Secured numerous projects with Fortune 500 companies exceeding $5m each. Produced funding vehicles, including Private Placement Memorandums, which secured multiple key investors and board members.
• Secured Kawasaki Gas Turbines dealership for the western states
• Secured C. E. Rogers exclusive distributorship for western US distribution of industrial waste water recovery equipment
• Participated in strategic hearings with Pacific Gas & Electric on the development of Rule 21 for interconnection
• Developed and implemented a sustainable whole facility approach integrating energy services, HVAC, Refrigeration, and energy consuming systems for major corporations.
• Full P&L responsibility for all development, marketing, sales, construction and services
DUKE SOLUTIONS, INC (DUKE ENERGY) San Ramon, CA (Division Closed) Jan 1998 to Jan 1999
Market Manager Western Region
P&L and business development responsibility for all EPC, BOOM (Build Own Operate and Maintain) construction projects. Developed highly refined, market sensitive assessment tools, targeting sales efforts and decreasing cycle time. Conducted demographic analyses, creating and enlarging vertical markets including on-site power for this $24B energy provider.
Directed projects from concept to completion while collaborating with clients and utilities. Led business development teams establishing development solution and methodologies, enabling representatives to assess and meet customer needs from a board level perspective.
• Transformed go to market approach, increasing margins and market image
• Enhanced Fortune 500 customer accounts with multi-million dollar packages, driving value and raising margins while reducing overhead costs.
• Successfully negotiated large turnkey design build energy projects with Fortune 500 companies surpassing the initial year’s objectives by more than 60%.
• Negotiated with utilities, staff and clients to design and implement effective marketing and sales tactics, in addition to market analysis data for projects exceeding $50M.
PACIFIC GAS & ELECTRIC Mar 1991 to Jan 1998
Energy Management Consultant
Turnaround of the development, participation and implantation of new industrial construction energy programs and program compliance for national supermarkets and industrial refrigeration organizations within PG&E’s service territory. Directed field staff, maintaining ongoing customer support throughout multiple departments. Implemented effective sales and technical department training to ensure exceptional client satisfaction and increased stakeholder value
• Established at the board level for PG&E the financial value of energy conservation in new construction to national supermarket chains and food processors, brewers, etc.
• First year, increased participation from 1 supermarket to 23 supermarkets and 1 to 4 industrial refrigeration projects, and returned more than $23M to company stakeholders, saving an average per customer of $250K per year in energy costs.
• Transformed market approach from simple savings to pro forma based business assessments
• Teamed with clients and PG&E system planning on transmission cost savings through energy conservation
• Developed in-depth technical and financial analysis systems, tools and guidelines for building, HVAC and industrial refrigeration/cooling systems.
• Managed the expansion of key vertical markets while overseeing energy conservation strategies to industrial and multi-site national and regional supermarket chains, industrial food processors, bottler’s etc. across PG&E’s service territory.
• Led and managed contractors and owners to assure the implementation and commissioning of various mechanical systems according to plans and specifications.
COMM-AIR (EPC - Mechanical Contractor) Jun 1988 to Mar 1991
Regional Operations Manager
Turnaround of an underperforming $20 million HVAC, ammonia refrigeration division with full P&L responsibility into a lucrative operation in less than a year and a half. Developed autonomous teams, significantly enhanced employee morale, met customer needs, and increased margins while reducing costs.
• Reorganized 120 field truck based service technicians, office staff of 20 and sales representatives by creating 12 fully accountable teams, elevating profits 20% while lowering costs 40%.
• Increased revenues from $20m to over $35m in annual revenue in 18 months
• Unified cross-functional departments, forming a cohesive, high performance team and increasing employee retention from 30% to over 90%.
• Instilled a culture of “zero safety incidents”
• Managed truck based service operations for over 2,500 guaranteed performance HVAC service accounts in the Southern California market for such groups as Bank of America, Tishman Properties, The Irvine Company, Catholic Health Care West, etc through effective P&L Management
WESTERN ALLIED SERVICE COMPANY - (EPC - Mechanical Contractor) Feb 1986 to Jun 1988
Regional Sales Manager
A business developer that successfully transformed operations and formed teams in negotiating and managing the construction of $5 million annual revenue stream for hospital chain in retrofit/service, HVAC, energy and equipment/system upgrades. Assured OSHPD compliance and managed all projects while building proactive project teams increasing volume and margins to the 20%-25% range.
ENVIRONMENTAL CONTROL SERVICES, Inc. - (EPC - Mechanical Contractor Aug 1974 to Feb 1986
Founded, developed and managed with full P&L responsibility an EPC mechanical energy, HVAC, and industrial process ammonia refrigeration contracting corporation to $6.5 million in annual revenue. Specialized in custom design build fabrication and installation of industrial HVAC, Refrigeration systems and energy equipment for the medical, petrochemical, process cooling, scientific and DOE markets. Key clients were GE, Paramount Studios, Sony, California Institute of Technology, NASA, JPL and DOE, etc. Extensive work with OSHPD for design build work.
University of Phoenix
MBA - 2000
BS Business Management – 1998
California Institute of the Arts, Valencia, California
Architecture - Environmental Design program
Pasadena City College
Architecture - Environmental Design
Los Angeles Trade Technical College
AS Air Conditioning & Refrigeration Technologies
MS Office (Word, Outlook, Excel, Power Point, Publisher, Access) MS Project, Visio, MS Front Page, Adobe, CRM – ACT, Sales - TAS Group “Target Account Selling” numerous financial and energy modeling tools
California- (A) General Engineering, (C20) Air conditioning, and (C38) Refrigeration
Nevada-(A) General Engineering, (C21) Air Conditioning, and Refrigeration
MILITARY SERVICE United States Navy
Mechanical Contractors of America
Air Conditioning Contractors of America (ACAA)
Environmental Protection Agency Combined Heat and Power Partnership (EPACHPP)
Volunteer Leadership Roles
Pasadena Tournament of Roses Association - 24 years of volunteer duty (Rose Parade and Rose Bowl Game) for numerous year round leadership positions in planning and operations committees:
Float Construction, Decorating Places, Food Services, Tournament House and Grounds, Managed Security for the entire parade and Rose Bowl Game, Parade Operations, Post Parade etc.
National Ski Patrol - 15 years, volunteer duty to support non-profit organization and skiing safety, undertook and gained accreditation in avalanche control, research and public safety Visit Personal Website
NukeJobs is a nuclear jobs board that provides nuclear job seekers access to international directories of Nuclear Employers, Nuclear Resumes and Nuclear Jobs such as Nuclear Engineer Jobs, Nuclear Construction Jobs, Nuclear Power Plant Jobs, Nuclear Medicine Jobs, Nuclear Pharmacy Jobs, Nuclear Security Jobs, Nuclear Physics Jobs, Nuclear Reactor Jobs, Nuclear Material Jobs, Nuclear Safety Jobs, and Nuclear Waste Jobs.